We had dinner at the Benesse House French restaurant. It was excellent
food. We had told the hotel of our dietary preferences in advance (no beef, no
pork), and the restaurant knew these, and were prepared to modify the tasting
menu for us already. This impressed me. Another nice touch was that when my
leg started hurting, and I had to stand up for a while, the waiter hurried over
with a cushion to see if he could help make the seat more comfortable. It did,
and it was very thoughtful.
I wanted to mention another few things about our monorail to the Oval. When you get on, there is a recorded voice that calls out to you, rather stridently, first in Japanese and then in English. In English, she basically instructs you to close the door, because the car won't start until you do. However, she says it somewhat ferociously. I'm pretty convinced that in Japanese, she is actually saying, "You! Idiot!! Close the damn door!!". I should note that the trip takes just under 4 minutes. However, you must plan on 15 minutes if you need to get up or down for a specific time, such as catching the shuttle (which is EXTREMELY prompt ... it does not leave a minute early or a minute late). Why? Well, if the monorail is pulling out just as you arrive (or, as I've started to think of it, that the monorail gods are not with you, then it will take 4 minutes down, 4 minutes back up, and then 4 minutes to take you down, with say another minute on each end to load and unload if someone has luggage. So, once again, I must point out that Naoshima is best for someone who doesn't mind planning ahead.
-- Donna
No comments:
Post a Comment